Table of Contents
Lok Sewa Aayog
1. dot-matrix is s type of
a. Tape b. Printer c. Disk d. Bus
2. A storage area used to store data to a compensate for the difference in speed at which the different units can handle data is
a. Memory b. Buffer c. Accumulator d. Address
3. which of the following devices can be sued to directly image printed text?
a. OCR b. OMR c. MICR d. All of above
4. The output quality of a printer is measured by
a. Dot per inch b. Dot per sq. inch c. Dots printed per unit time d. All of above
5. In analog computer
a. Input is first converted to digital form b. Input is never converted to digital form c. Output is displayed in digital form d. All of above
6. In latest generation computers, the instructions are executed
a. Parallel only b. Sequentially only c. Both sequentially and parallel d. All of above
7. Who designed the first electronics computer – ENIAC?
a. Van-Neumann b. Joseph M. Jacquard c. J. Presper Eckert and John W Mauchly d. All of above
8. Who invented the high level language c?
a. Dennis M. Rithcie b. Niklaus Writh c. Seymour Papert d. Donald Kunth
9. Personnel who design, program, operate and maintain computer equipment refers to
b. Console-operator b. Programmer c. Peopleware d. System Analyst
10. When did arch rivals IBM and Apple Computers Inc. decide to joinhads?
a. 1978 b. 1984 c. 1990 d. 1991
11. Human beings are referred to as Homosapinens, which device is called Sillico Sapiens?
a. Monitor b. Hardware c. Robot d. Computer
12. An error in software or hardware is called bug. What is the alternative computer jargon for it?
a. Leech b. Squid c. Slug d. Glitch
13. What is the name of the display feature that highlights are of the screen which requires operator attention?
a. Pixel b. Reverse video c. Touch screen d. Cursor
14. IBM launched its first personal computer called IBM-PC in 1981. It had chips from Intel, disk drives from Tandon, operating system form Microsoft, the printer from Epson and the application software from everywhere. Can you name the country which contributed the video display?
a. India b. China c. Germany d. Taiwan
15. Personal computers use a number of chips mounted on a main circuit board. What is the common name for such boards?
a. Daughter board b. Motherboard c. Father board d. Breadboard
16. In most IBM PCc, the CPU, the device drives, memory expansion slots and active components are mounted on a single board. What is the name of this board?
a. Motherboard b. Breadboard c. Daughter board d. Grandmother board
17. What is meant by a dedicated computer?
a. Which is used by one person only b. Which is assigned one and only one task c. Which uses one kind of software d. Which is meant for application software
18. Modern Computer are very reliable but they are not
a. Fast b. Powerful c. Infallible d. Cheap
19. the system unit of a personal computer typically contains all of the following except:
a. Microprocessor b. Disk controller c. Serial interface d. Modern
20. A computer program that converts an entire program into machine language is called a/ an
a. Interpreter b. Simulator c. Compiler d. Commander
21. A computer program that translates one program instructions at a time into machine language is called a/ an
a. Interpreter b. CPU c. Compiler d. Simulator
22. A small or intelligent device is so called because it contains within it a
a. Computer b. Microcomputer c. Programmable d. Sensor
23. A disadvantage of the laser printer is:
a. It is quieter than an impact printer b. It is very slow c. The output is of a lower quality d. None of above
24. Which of the following is not true for a magnetic disk?
a. It is expensive relative to magnetic tape b. It provides only sequential access to stored data c. Users can easily update records by writing over the old data d. All of above
25. The primary advantage of key-to-tape data entry system is
a. A large percentage of editing can be performed at the time of data entry b. Key verification is easily performed c. The tape is reusable d. Keying errors can be detected as they occur
26. The terminal device that functions as a cash register, computer terminal, and OCR reader is the:
a. Data collection terminal b. OCR register terminal c. Video Display terminal d. POS terminal
27. Which of the following does not affect the resolution of a video display image?
a. Bandwidth b. Raster scans rage c. Vertical and horizontal lines of resolution d. Screen size
28. While inserting a diskette into the diskette drive of a PC, the diskette’s label side should face
a. East b. North c. South d. Up
29. In which year was UK’s premier computing event called “which computer” started?
a. 1980 b. 1985 c. 1986 d. 1987
30. The latest PC keyboards use a circuit that senses the movement by the change in its capacitance,
a. Capacitance keyboard b. Mechanical keyboard c. Qwerty keyboard d. Dvorak keyboard
31. Different components on the motherboard of a PC processor unit are linked together by sets or parallel electrical conducting lines. What are these lines called?
a. Conductors b. Buses c. Connectors d. Connectively
32. Which of the following magazines covers only the IBM PC and its compatibles?
a. Byte b. PC Magazine c. Personal Computing d. Interface Age
33. Which of the following professions has not been affected by personal computers?
a. Medical b. Clerical and law c. Accounting d. None of the above
34. The arranging of data in a logical sequence is called
a. Sorting b. Classifying c. Reproducing d. Summarizing
35. When was Apple Macintosh II microcomputer introduced in the market?
a. 1964 b. 1970 c. 1983 d. 1986
36. What is the name of the new color laptop computer which is powered by a 386 processor at 33 MHz and is built by Epson?
a. AX3/33 b. NEC-20 c. Magnum 2000 d. HCL-3000
37. What does the disk drive of a computer do?
a. Rotate the disk b. Read the disk c. Load a program from the disk into the memory d. Both b and c
38. The language that the computer can understand execute is called
a. Machine b. Application c. System program d. All of above
39. An application suitable for sequential processing is
a. Processing of grades b. Payroll processing c. Both a and b d. All of above
40. The word processing task associated with changing the appearance of a document is
a. Editing b. Writing c. Formatting d. All of above
41. Which of the following is used as a primary storage device?
a. Magnetic drum b. Prom c. Floppy d. All of above
42. Which of the following memories needs refreshing?
a. SRAM b. DRAM c. ROM d. All of above
43. IBM 7000 digital computer
a. Belongs to second generation b. Uses VLSI c. Employs semiconductor memory d. Has modular constructions
44. The proper definition of a modern digital computer is
a. An electronic automated machine that can solve problems involving words and numbers b. A more sophistic and modified electronic pocket calculator c. Any machine that can perform mathematical operations d. A machine that works on binary code
45. A modern electronic computer is a machine that is meant for
a. Doing quick mathematical calculations b. Input, storage, manipulation and outputting of data c. Electronic data processing d. Performing repetitive tasks accurately
46. An integrated circuit is
a. A complicated circuit b. An integrating device c. Much costlier than a single transistor d. Fabricated on tiny silicon chip
47. Most important advantage of an IC is its
a. Easy replacement in case of circuit failure b. Extremely high reliability c. Reduced cost d. Lower power consumption
48. In a punched card system, data is processed by a
a. Keypunch machine, sorter and posting machine b. Accounting machine, posting machine, and billing machine c. Sorter, posting machine, and billing machine d. Accounting machine, keypunch machine and sorter
49. The first machine to successfully perform a long series of arithmetic and logical operations was;
a. ENIAC b. Mark I c. Analytic engine c. UNIVAC-I
50. In the third generation of computers:
a. Distributed data processing first became popular b. An operating system was first developed c. High-level prcedu7ral languages were first used d. On-line, real time systems first became popular
1. b 2. b 3. a 4. b 5. b 6. c 7. c 8. a 9. c 10. d 11. c 12. b 13. b 14. d 15. b 16. a 17. b 18. c 19. d 20. c 21.a 22. d 23. d 24. b 25. c 26. d 27. d 28. d 29. a 30. a 31. b 32. b 33. d 34. a 35. c 36. a 37. b 38. a 39. c 40. c 41. b 42. b 43. c 44. a 45. b 46. d 47. b 48. d 49. b 50. d