Table of Contents
HEALTH EDUCATION, INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION
In 1991 new health policy was initiated. Following this policy, National Health Education, information and Communication Centre (NHEICC) was established under the Ministry of Health and population in 1993, with the mandate to give high priority to information, education and communication in the health sector. This centre in responsible for developing, producing and disseminating messages to promote and support health programs and services in an integrated manner. For this purpose, all districts have Health education, information and communication programs since GY 2051/ 52. The Health education and communication units in the district Health Offices works to meet the increasing demand for health education services by implementing IEC activities utilizing various media and methods according to the needs of the local people in the district. Local media and languages are used in the district for dissemination health messages so that people can understand health messages clearly in their local context.
The goal of the National Health Education, information and Communication Centre is to contribute to attainment of the highest level of health of the people of the country and to contribute and support in the achievement of MDGs 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7; and goal and objectives of other programs and services.
The general objectives of IEC for health is to raise the health awareness of the people as a mean to promote improved health status and to prevent disease through the effort of the people themselves and through full utilization of available resources. The specific objectives of the programs are to:
- Increase awareness and knowledge of the people on health issues
- Increase positive attitudes towards health care
- Increase healthy behavior
- Increase participation of the people in the health intervention programs at all levels of health services
- Increase access to new information and technology on the health programs for the people
- Promote environment health and hygiene
- Control the tobacco and Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs)