Table of Contents
Chapter – 4: Food and Beverage Service
Short Answer Questions
- Name 10 different types of cutleries used in an outlet. 
Ans: Food and Beverage service unit is one of the most important departments of the hotel and restaurant business. It is direct contact with guest. The service of this department determines the quality of the hotel. To service the guest it needs different types of equipment. Some tools are used to store, some are used to carry food and others used to serve. Some are used by customers and some are used by the waiters. The items used on the table are known as Tableware. The tableware are classified as hollowware and cutlery/ flatware.
Cutlery refers to group of knives, forks and spoons and other cutting equipments. They are used by guest to eat.
Some Examples of cutlery are:
Spoon: Soup, dessert, tea
Fork: Joint, fish dessert
Knife: Asparagus knife, Butter knife, Fruit knife, Cheese knife
Tong: Sugar tong, Ice tong
- Make a neat format of K.O.T. 
Ans: KOT stands for kitchen Order Ticket. KOT is used to take orders form the guest. It is usually made in three copies in different colors for identification purpose, which helps to control and mange. The first copy goes to kitchen to place the order, second copy is sent to cashier to prepare the bill and third copy will remain with the waiter. KOT serves the channel of communication between customers to kitchen and kitchen to billing and finally collection of the bill. It helps the management to control the supply from the kitchen and cash collection.
Different types and systems of KOT are in practice depending upon the size, class and type of service. A small organization may use bill cum KOT, fast-food establishment may use cash and carry or preordered. It can be triplicate or duplicate as per the F & B management. An example of KOT is given below:
- Explain the Social Skills. 
Ans: Social skills among F & B service staff create positive impression in any F & B outlet. The most essential social skills required in addressing and welcoming customers;
- If the name is known, address the guest with appropriate pronunciation of their titles.
- If the name is not known use sir or madam
- Greet them cheerfully
- Seat ladies first, then the other guests and finally the host
- Ask for coats or baggage and keep in a side at a secured place.
In short, service personnel should possess qualities such as courtesy, co-operation, honesty, punctuality, tact, a good memory and considerable knowledge. Service is the combination of science and art, so one must lean and practice.
- “The quality of service is based on hospitality knowledge, skills and attitude of service.” Explain. 
Ans: The quality of service staff in any establishment reflects the quality of the establishment, which is more important in catering industry as it is a service industry. The basic qualities of a service staff is discussed below:
- Physical Attributes: The Food and Beverage service staff should be well groomed and clean at all times. Cleanliness gives them a sense of well-being and confidence to do the job efficiently. Their hands should be clean. Nails should be trimmed, and kept clean. The jewellery should be kept minimum. The uniform should be clean and well-pressed and properly worn.
- Word Related Attributes: All service staff should be well-mannered and respectful to guests and to senior members of the staff and within each other. They should be calm and pleasant, even in the most trying circumstance.
- Saleshmanship: The food and beverage personnel are technical sales persons, as they are the service person for guests contact. They should have a through knowledge of the proper presentation and service of all the food and beverage serviced in the establishment to satisfy the customers. They must try to sell different items offered by hotel.
- Good Memory: A good memory helps to improve performance. It also helps the service personnel to attend to small but important details, such as remembering a guest’s name or his likes and dislikes regarding food and beverage, personal eating habit, etc.
- Ability to assume responsibility: All service staff should be able to cope with the demand of the job and posses the ability to assume responsibility.
- Tactful: An ability of correctly judging people is definitely an advantage. A sense of anticipation service industry is an invaluable quality. The ability to anticipate what a guest or the management needs, even before it is asked for, creates a very good impression.
- Extra Language: In addition to these works related attributes, knowledge of one or more languages besides the regional language would be an asset to all service personnel. He must be capable of understanding guests and communicating with them in simple and perfect manner.
- Technical knowledge: The staff must but familiar with service equipment, drinks, and menu. He should be honest with guests and with the management.
- Honesty: is always the best policy. One should be honest with guests and with the management.
- Responsibility: The service personnel should develop the habit of taking responsibility for their job. Every job or assignment should be taken with full responsibility, as there is no excuse in the hospitality industry.
- Co-ordination and integrity: A good friendship between the colleagues is essential. Service is teamwork. Arguments must be avoided. All employees should trust one another. They must have honesty, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, truthfulness and loyalty between each other.
In short, service personnel should possess qualities such as courtesy, co-operation, honesty, punctuality, tact, a good memory and considerable knowledge. Service is the combination of science and art, so one must learn and practice.