Table of Contents
Introduction to Hotel
Short Answer Questions
- Explain the Air catering in Nepal. 
Ans: The word catering is from the word “cater” which means to serve. Catering refers to food and drinks service. Catering Industry is sometimes referred to as hospitality industry providing food, drinks and in certain section accommodation also. Modern catering not only includes food but it also includes “environment’ that is food for pleasure, food for pleasure, food for test, etc.
Air Catering is a transport catering. It is the service provided during the flight. Generally, airlines does not own restaurant or food factory. They do agreement with some catering companies. The catering company will provide food in special containers but service during the flight is done by airlines staffs. The catering is also serve the transit passengers, or if flight delayed. Specially trained staffs serve food during the flight.
- Define catering and explain outdoor catering. 
Ans: The term catering refers to providing food and beverage. It is to provide food for pleasure. It has two aspects preparation and presentation and service in special style.
Catering services are of different types according to the service they provide, for example commercial catering, such as restaurant and hotels, Transport catering, welfare catering, etc. Among them one is outdoor catering.
Outdoor catering is to serve in a place as per the requirement of the guest. It is a temporary set up for providing food. The place, type of the food and service is as per the requirement of the guest. It is to provide catering service on contract basis. This type of service is generally organized for special functions such as weddings, celebrations, etc.
- Define hospitality and state is sectors. 
Ans: Hospitality is to take care of guest. It is to provide service, friendship, trust, etc. it is a human relation done by one person to another. In hotel industry hospitality is the service provided by staff to the guest. It is to receive, make their stay enjoy, relax in the hotel, so that the guest will return with sweet memorable experience. It is to provide a pleasant environment by available facilities and activities.
A hotel has different sections specialized for different functions. The hotel is known as a place to stay and food. To stay or for accommodation two departments Front Office and House Keeping departments are responsible. For the purpose of purpose of production Food Production and Food and Beverage Service departments are there. In this way a hotel has four sections they are:
- Housekeeping: This section manages and maintain the cleanliness of the guest room and public areas like lobby, passage, flower arrangement etc. This unit is responsible to every aspect of a guest room that is to provide all the required materials in a room and maintain security.
- Front Office: This section is responsible public relation, reservation, registration, reception, maintain records and to collect dues. This unit receives the guest, do check-in and provide information and communicate with other concerned service units such as food and beverage, housekeeping, lobby, account, etc. This unit manages room keys.
- Food and Beverage Service: The main job of this department is to prepare food and serve the food. This job includes food planning and management of the groceries. They calculate the cost price and prepare menu and try to maintain cost control their service part includes maintaining hygiene. Their most important job includes serving the food beverage. This department is divided into two different jobs; Food Production and Restaurants.
- Food Production/ Kitchen: This department is responsible for production of food. It prepares the food and get ready to serve. They make purchase, specification, maintain stock, develop new idea find out the cost and develop many. They must manage waste and maintain proper hygiene.
Above sections are supported by marketing, account, engineering, human resources departments.
4. Make a list of eight international chain hotels and underline the two operating in Nepal. [4+1]
Ans: Chain hotels are the hotels operated by the same name at different places. Some of them are chain-owned or owned by individually but managed by the chai. They want to share the goodwill and save marketing effort. This type of management contract to share market is known as franchising.
Some renowned international Hotel Chains are:
Hilton Holiday – Inn
Radisson Ramada – Inn
Ritz Carlton Oberoi
Crown Plaza Hyatt Regency
There are many more to count among them some of them are also operating in Nepal. Among them two international chains are Crown Plaza, and Hyatt Regency.
5. Explain various types of transport catering. 
Ans: The word catering is from the word “cater” which means to serve. Catering refers to food and drinks service. Catering industry is sometimes referred to as hospitality industry providing food, drinks and in certain section accommodation also. Modern catering not only includes food but it also includes “environment” that is food for pleasure, food for pleasure, food for text, etc.
There are number of ways of classifying catering operation such as primary and secondary, profit and non-profit, indoor and out-door, etc. They can be classify on the basis of management, location, on the basis of client, demand of customers, etc.
Some of the popular transport caterings are discussed below.
- Airlines catering
- Railway catering
- Cruz/ ship catering
- Surface catering