Information Management is the study of information and communication systems in various areas of Business, Management and Administration. It deals with the study of models, methods and tools for analyzing information systems. The Bachelor’s of Information Management (BIM) is a special course from Tribhuvan University that is designed to produce creative and hardworking IT professionals. The course can provide all the necessary skills to benefit a person and help them get a very promising career in the IT field.
Table of Contents
A student wanting to study BIM must have the following requirements:
- The Student should have passed +2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board. A Levels and +2 is accepted. As far as stream goes, all streams (Science, Commerce, Humanities) are accepted.
- Students should have more than 45% marks or a minimum of 1.8 CGPA in their 11th and 12th Grade to be eligible.
- The students should have passed 12 years of schooling with a minimum of second division (in case of boards such as CBSE).
- All students should comply with the application procedure and must have passed the entrance exam.
CMAT is the exam that you have to give before you are able to get admitted to a college. The exam is taken by FOM, TU and this exam has the following feature/structure:
- The exam is MCQ with 100 objective questions with 1 mark per question. There is no negative marking.
- The pass mark is 40 and you get 2 hours to complete the exam.
- The areas tested are: Verbal Ability, General Awareness, Quantitative Ability and Logical reasoning, each area is worth 25 marks.
How to start the admission process?
Starting the admission process is quite simple. You just need to fill a form from the Faculty of Management, TU and then give an exam called CMAT. All the management and humanities student need to give the CMAT exam before being able to join a college for Studying further. The CMAT test includes things such as quantitative ability, logical reasoning, general awareness, verbal ability and much more. You can also join an institute to prepare for the CMAT exam. Once your preparation is complete and you pass the exam, you can choose the college where you want to study BIM. Currently, only a handful of private colleges have this course while, TU’s government colleges also are the option. In terms of government colleges, the selection process is a bit tiring. There is a merit list and only the most qualified students are selected.
BIM is a 4 year course with 8 semesters. There are many management related subjects as well as computer subjects. Each semester has 5 subjects. The last semester provides internship opportunities to the students. The course structure for BIM can be categorized in 4 sections:
Foundation Courses – The foundation courses are 60 credit hours and these include subjects such as Macro Economics, English, Social Sciences, Business, General Math and Discrete Math.
Business Courses – The business courses include management related subjects such as Marketing, Accounting, Fundamentals of business, management and more.
IT and Computer Courses – The BIM course is a mixture of IT and business. There are many IT courses that you cant take in this degree. Some of the most famous IT courses like Artificial Intelligence, Software Programming, Computer Network, Object Oriented Programming and many more.
Elective Courses – The BIM degree provides a lot of elective courses like Software Project Management, System Admin, Graphics Programming, Operating System, Data Mining and more.
The BIM course features the following features:
- Teaching methods of lectures, presentations, practical and a lot of analytical course work.
- Industrial Visits, tours and other methods of beyond the class learning.
- Attendance system requiring the students to have at least an attendance of 80%.
- The pass grade in each semester is the 40% of the total marks.
- There is an internship opportunity in the last semester. A student should get a minimum of C grade to pass in their internships.
- This course allows credit transfer to other universities. So, you can always transfer abroad if that’s what you want.
- You need a CGPA of 2.0 for passing the whole course.
Cost of Study
Admission Form: NRs. 1,500/
College Tuition : 2 to 3.5 lakhs (most colleges)
Per Semester Exam Fee: NRs. 2500 per semester.
Per year TU development fee: NRs. 3000-5000 per year (depends on college).